In an attempt to overcome the traditionally restricted social roles of Indian women, RIDE focuses on empowerment through the establishment of Self Help Groups and a micro loan program. In recent years, we have been cautioning the members of our Self Help Groups to be aware of money-lending NGOs and individual bankers who are exploiting people by demanding high interest rates for the loans they grant. RIDE provides training to instill self-confidence, support activities that generate income, and promote increased economic self-reliance among women. As one of the first organizations in Tamil Nadu to commence facilitating Self Help Groups, we now support more than 1,500 Self Help Groups in 295 villages in the district of Kanchipuram.
In brief, RIDE has initiated the following:
- A strong network of our SHGs
- Skill trainings in a variety of areas relating to self-sufficiency
- Training to assist members of SHGs to successfully market their products
- Seminars and workshops on various topics of empowerment and human rights
- Gender sensitization programs for both men and women, to promote a more equal society
- Directories to enhance access to resources and exchange of information